Welcome to 2022 MALCS Summer Institute
Welcome and Chair’s Message
Dear MALCS Members,
Welcome to the MALCS 2022 Summer Institute (SI), Cultivating Healing, Tending Our Roots. and Embracing Decolonial Love. Last year we temporarily moved to a virtual format. This was a new experience; however, the MALCS Executive and Coordinating Committees were pleased to bring you a wonderful week of programming meant to bridge the distance by bringing love, healing, and community to the organizations’ members. As our past Chair Professor Yvette J. Saavedra indicated in last year’s welcome letter “In a year fraught with loss, sadness, and worry—exacerbated by continued social injustice, social inequity, and political unrest, the pandemic and its accompanying uncertainties wreaked havoc on our physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.” Thankfully, last year’s virtual Summer Institute provided a moment of self-reflection and healing. We came together as a community to affirm not only our survival but our capacity to thrive.
This year we are blessed to return to in-person format. We are very excited about the program proposed by the MALCS- Colorado chapter, which is a cross-collaboration of several campuses around the state, including Colorado State University (CSU); University of Colorado, Boulder and Denver (CU); Metro State University (MSU); University of Denver (DU), Colorado College (CC), and Colorado Mountain College (CMC). Although the collaboration is among various Colorado campuses, the actual MALCS Summer Institute will take place at CSU, Ft. Collins located on the homelands of Cheyenne, Arapaho, and Ute. Colorado has been a center of past and present activism among Indigenous, Chicanx, and Latinx communities.
More details about the MALCS SI and pre-conference workshops will be forthcoming. In the meantime, below is useful information as we send forth the CFP and begin to construct the program.
- MALCS Membership:
- To submit for the CFP, current MALCS membership is required. Complete your MALCS membership at https://malcs.org/membership/
- If you encounter any issues with your membership, please contact MALCS Membership Coordinator, Vanessa Fonseca-Chávez, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are a limited number of scholarships available to cover student membership fees. See the forthcoming email from MALCS Treasurer, Sandra Pacheco, for more information
- Consider donating or sponsoring someone’s membership at https://malcs.org/giving/
- Don’t forget to register for the conference. Registration fees will be announced later in the year. Take the opportunity to log into your MALCS account and double check/update your contact information at https://malcs.org/membership/
- 2022 MALCS SI Registration:
- Registration to the 2022 MALCS Summer Institute is announced after the proposal review process
- The 2022 MALCS SI Registration is now open.
- MALCS Member Accomplishments:
- The MALCS Member Accomplishments for 2022 will be announced later in the year.
- Don’t forget to share your membership accomplishments with the MALCS community.
We hope that the 2022 MALCS Summer Institute will give us the opportunity to affirm our collective existence, come together to renew our relationships, and rejoice that we have not only survived but have continued nuestras luchas against the many obstacles presented in the last two years. If you have any questions about the SI please email us at email@example.com.
Aída Hurtado, Ph.D.
MALCS Chair, 2021-2022
All sessions are open to active MALCS members
Call for Proposals
The deadline for proposal submissions closed on the 23rd March 2022.
MALCS Summer Institute
July 27, 2022 – July 30, 2022
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, Colorado
Please direct all Summer Institute related question to: firstname.lastname@example.org.